-1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into large chunks
-3 large potatoes, peeled and halved
-2 lb ground beef
-2 onions, finely diced
-5 carrots peeled, finely diced
-1 head of garlic, minced
-1 can (400 mL) creamed corn
-1/3 cup flour
-1 cup red wine
-1.5 cups of stock (we used homemade duck stock)
-2 tbsp sage, chopped
-1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
-1 tsp nutmeg
-2 tbsp butter (we used duck fat)
-1 tbsp honey
-Salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam the rutabaga and potatoes until a fork can pierce them without much resistance.
2. While the rutabaga and potatoes are steaming, brown the ground beef. Once browned, mix in carrots, onions, garlic, rosemary and sage.
3. Deglaze the pot with red wine and cook down until the pot is almost dry.
4. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Then mix in creamed corn, stock and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Mash rutabaga and potatoes with butter, honey, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Then layer on top of the ground beef mixture.
6. Set the oven to broil and brown the mash until it is golden.
*Option: If this is prepared ahead of time, you can keep it in the fridge and then put it in the 350 degree oven to reheat 1 hour before serving.