Mapo tofu is traditionally made with ground pork, but here we've used ground beef. Variations of this popular Chinese recipe are common, ours is just a guideline. The main thing to remember in order to achieve that spicy flavour is the combination of chili oil, oyster sauce and XO sauce.
Ingredients (4 generous servings)
-1 package of firm tofu
-1.5 lbs lean ground beef
-1 bunch of chopped green onion
-1 white onion chopped
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-1 tbsp cornstarch
-1 tbsp sugar
-3 tbsp oyster sauce
-3 tbsp XO sauce
-1 tbsp chili oil
1. Marinate your ground beef in soy sauce, corn starch, sugar for at least a half hour.
2. Cut up your tofu into small cubes, chop the onions and green onions.
3. In a large skillet, fry the onions they are translucent and soft.
4. Add the ground beef and cook until the ground beef is browned. Then add in the tofu and cook for another 5-8 minutes.
5. Add oyster sauce, XO sauce, chili oil into the mixture. At this point, taste it and see if it needs more flavourings. If the sauce is not thick enough, you can add a slurry of cornstarch to thicken it.
6. Add green onion and just when they begin to wilt, the dish is ready to serve over a bed of steamed white rice.