If you are a fan of 'Pizza Pockets' then you will be familiar with the concept of the calzone. Essentially it is pizza dough stuffed with cheese, meats and tomato sauce, folded into a half moon shape and baked till golden brown. Surprisingly they're really easy and quick to make and can be personalized to include your favourite flavours. Ours was filled with sausage, bacon, caramelized onion, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese is a great hand held meal for watching the game!
|Next day cold calzone- even better!|
- five 3-ounce balls of pizza dough
- 5 uncooked sausages
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 onion sliced and caramelized
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced and fried till golden brown
- 2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 cups of pizza sauce
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Roll out the pizza dough into roughly circles roughly 10 inches in diameter
2. Layer cheese, bacon, sausage, onions, mushrooms and pizza sauce over one half of the dough
3. Fold the dough over the toppings and crimp the edges as shown by folding the dough over your thumb and pressing down firmly all the way around
4. Place the calzones on a baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal and brush the surface of each one with olive oil. Cut several vents into the top of each calzone.
5. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and bake the calzones for approximately 30-40 minutes until golden.