-1 cup unsalted butter
-3/4 cup sugar
-1.5 tsp coconut flavouring-Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
-2/3 cup of shredded sweetened coconut-1 1/4 cups flour
-2 tsp of baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-2 large bananas, sliced (Save a few slices to decorate the top)
-1 tbsp of unsalted butter
-3 tbsp brown sugar
-1 cup heavy cream
-1 tsp coconut flavouring
-1 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease two cake pans (8" or 9") with butter and line bottom with wax paper. Lightly flour sides of the cake pans.
3. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then add one egg at a time and make sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add coconut flavouring and lemon zest (optional).
|I used orange zest- I didn't like it, but you might!|
4. In a separate bowl, combine shredded coconut, flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Add this mixture to the egg mixture and fold until incorporated.
5. Split batter between the two cake pans, using a spatula to spread out the batter so it is somewhat level in the pan.
6. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden. Once cool, remove from cake pans and carefully remove wax paper.
7. While the sponge is baking, you can put together the filling. Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the sliced bananas and brown sugar over medium heat. When the sugar is melted and the banana are soft, remove from the heat and chill in the fridge so it doesn't melt the whip cream later. (The freezer works too when you are short on time)
8. Add coconut flavouring and sugar to the cream and whip until you have stiff peaks. Spread as much of the banana filling and whip cream on top of one sponge as you wish. You may choose to slice off part of the sponge to make it flatter, but I don't think it is necessary unless you are going for perfection.
9. Add the second sponge on top and spread some whipped cream on top. Decorate with slices of banana and sprinkle shredded coconut. Delicious!