Stuffed with pork, ginger, garlic and garlic chives these little fried dumplings are great alongside noodles or just by themselves. In this recipe you'll find a sure fire way to cook these up so that you get that perfect combination of crispy crust and tender steamed meat.
Ingredients: (Makes approximately 40 dumplings)
- 2 lbs of lean ground pork
- 4 tbsp of finely minced ginger
- 5 cloves of finely minced garlic- 1/2 cup of finely chopped garlic chives
- 1/3 cup of light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp of chinese cooking wine
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 3 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 package of dumpling wrappers
1. In a large bowl combine all the above ingredients together well and let it sit in the fridge for an hour
2. Place about 1 tablespoon of the filling into each dumpling wrapper, wet the edges with water and fold into a half moon. Pleat the edges.
4. To cook, arrange the dumplings in a non stick pan. Add 3/4 cup of hot water, 3 tbsp of canola oil and place over medium high heat covered with a lid. Once the water is boiling, half cover the pan with the lid to let the water fully evaporate. When the water evaporates the oil you added in earlier will fry the dumplings. Remove the dumplings once they're golden brown.
5. If you don't feel like frying, the other option is to steam them for 10 minutes in a bamboo steamer.
6. Serve with soy sauce